COVID-19 Passenger Update: Use of non-medical masks or face coverings during air travel
The Ministry of Transport has announced new measures requiring all air passengers to have a non-medical mask or face covering to cover their mouth and nose during travel. These measures come into effect at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Monday, April 20, 2020.
When travelling by air, travellers will be asked to cover their mouth and nose:
- at Canadian airport screening checkpoints, where the screeners cannot always keep two metres of separation between themselves and the traveller;
- when they cannot physically distance from others, or as directed by the airline employees; and
- when directed to do so by a public health order or public health official. required to possess a face mask prior to boarding.
For additional information, please visit the following government websites:
- Transport Canada – for information about the new measures
- Public Health Agency of Canada – for guidance on the wearing of non-medical masks and face coverings